Western Group of Temples
Most Khajuraho temples were built between 950 and 1050 by the Chandela dynasty. The western complex of the Khajuraho group of temples houses the most important temples in Khajuraho. The sculptures and architecture of the temples are very well known and makes Khajuraho a popular tourist destination in India. If you want proof that the Kama Sutra originated in India, Khajuraho is the place to see. Erotica abounds here with around 20 temples, many featuring sexuality and sex. These sandstone temples are a UNESCO World Heritage site. Here at the Western Group you will see some of the most sensational temples in the world
Opposite the large Lakshman Temple are two small shrines. The one directly opposite is called Devi Mandap, its cemented peaked roof an indication that it has been renovated during the last century
This open pavilion stands to the south of the Devi shrine on a high platform. The mandap stands elevated above the ground with 14 short pillars that support the high pyramidal roof capped with an amalaka and kalash.
This striking temple stands facing the varaha and Devi mandaps. It is one of the three largest temples of Khajuraho and the western group of temples and is considered to be the earliest (c.AD 954) to have been built by the chandella rulers. The temples faces the east and is dedeicated to vishnu, though it goes by a rather inappropriate name of lakshman, the brother of Ram, the hero... more
KANDARIYA MAHADEV TEMPLE
This is without any doubt the largest and most magnificent temple in Khajuraho. The elegant proportions of this building and its sculptural detailing are the most refined examples of this artistice heritage of central India... more
Between the Kandariya and the devi jagdambi Temples is a small shrine whose purpose is difficult to ascertain. It is called the Mahadev Shrine and consists of a small open - pillared porch and sanctum, the structure has suffered further through renovations during the last century. A figure of the rampant lion fighting with a kneeling figure, presumed to be the emblem of the chandellas, has some reason been installed in the porch. There are two similar rampant lion figures on the platform of the Kandariya Madadev and Devi temples.
DEVI JAGADAMBA TEMPLE
This is much smaller than the magnificent Kandariya Mahadev Tenlple. lt has a cross plan with only on set of balconies, only one mandap and no inner pradakshina patha. However, the Devi Jagdamba Temple has some of the loveliest sculptures ill Khajuraho, and because of its medium height most of them are easily visible.
Eastern Group of Temples
One and half kilometer towards east from the Western group of Temples is the old village of Khajuraho. The eastern group of temples is strewn around here. The Jain community during the Chandela rule lived in the eastern side of Khajuraho and a number of Jain temples from that period is now located in the eastern complex about 10 mins from the Western group of Khajuraho temples. The Eastern Group of Temples of Khajuraho can be divided into two, the temples dedicated to the Jain pantheon and the temples dedicated to Hindu Gods and Goddesses.
Jain Temples in Easter Group
it is dedicated to Parsavanath, the Jain Tirthankara. It is the largest Jain Temple present there. It is a well decorated temple.
it is dedicated to Adinath, a Jain Tirthankara. The sculpted figures of Yakshis are particularly famous here
it is well known for the sculpture of a Jain goddess on a winged Garuda and for the sixteen dreams of Mahavira's mother.
Hindu Temples in Eastern Group
The Brahma Temple
the granite stone temple has a four-faced idol of Brahma which is very popular in this temple
The Vamana Temple
the sculptures and carvings of celestial beauties are famous. Hanuman Temple - this temple has a statue of Hanuman which is about 8 feet tall
Southern Group of Temples
The Southern group of temples in Khajuraho is located slightly away from the other groups of temples. Southern group of temples consists of Duladeo temple, Chaturbhuj temple and Beejamandal temple. Chaturbhuj temple is the only temple in Khajuraho devoid of any erotic carvings. Duladeo temple is the most popular temple in the southern group of temples in Khajuraho.
Duladeo Temple stands on the left bank of the Khurau Nala, about a kilometre south of the Khajuraho village almost equidistant from the Ghantai temple and the Jain temples of the eastern group of temples. The Duladeo temple is also called "Kunwar Math" by some historians. A temple dedicated to Shiva the entire temple is decorated with carvings of Shiva and his consort Parvati.
Chaturbhuj temple is dedicated to Vishnu in his ascetic form. The only temple in Khajuraho devoid of any erotic carvings or sculptures Chaturbguj temple is one of the major temples of the southern group of temples in Khajuraho. The Chaturbhuj temple houses an exquisite image of a nine feet long statue of four-handed Vishnu.
A little ahead of the Chaturbhuja temple the Beejamandal Temple which is still under excavation is near the old Jatkhara village. This temple is expected to be the largest amongst the Khajuraho Temples once completely excavated.
Panna National Park
At the distance of only 28 K.M from Khajuraho towards South East the Panna National Park is formally being renowned as the 22nd tiger reserve of India and fifth in Madhya Pradesh. By covering an area of 542.67 sq km, Panna Reserve lies besides the areas of the Ken River at the central state of India, Madhya Pradesh at a distance of 57 km from Khajuraho, a world heritage center. Panna Tiger Reserve was being found as the best managed and maintained national parks of India by the Ministry of Tourism of India and this reputation brought the park the Award of Excellence in the year 2007. Thanks to all the efforts of Mr. R. Shreenivasa Murthy, a forest officer of the area who brought his best efforts to bring the Panna Park as the best managed and developed park in the area, in collaboration with his team. It is known worldwide for its wild cats, including tigers, deer, vultures, Indian wolf, chinkara, cheetal, four-horned antelope, sloth bear pangolin, rusty spotted cat, leopard, carcal and gharial lots more.
Raneh Water Fall
Very few people are aware about this breathtaking place which is approx 22 km from Khajuraho. This beautiful water fall is situated on the Ken River. This is about 30 meters deep canyon formed with pure crystalline granite in different colors like pink, green, misty white, and red to grey. The most fascinating thing about this place is that, there is dozens of small and big falls in regular stretches, some of them are seasonal having furious water flow during rainy season. Green pristine forest gives you a glimpse of complete natural paradise and so this is an ideal place for nature lovers. River ken is quite prominent river in central India in terms of crocodile and alligator conservation. The climate here is very adaptable for both alligators and crocodile, though alligators are not native to ken river. Landscaping is become so spectacular in rainy season as the black and pink basalt rock provide a wondrous look and flourish water force gives a mesmerizing look.
At a distance of 34 km from Khajuraho, the Pandav Falls is a scenic waterfall waterfall located inside the Panna National Park and also one of the top places of Khajuraho sightseeing. Pandav Falls is a perennial fall fed by a tributary of the river Ken in Madhya Pradesh. The falls cascades down from a height of about 30 meters into a heart shaped pool. Surrounded by lush green forests, the falls is spectacular and accessed even during peak monsoon season. The serenity, purity and mystic atmosphere of the Pandav Falls attract both the locals and tourists. At the foot of falls there are some ancient caves overlooking a large pool of water. The Pandavas of the Mahabharata are believed to have spent a part of their exile here. However, one needs to beware of the monkeys and bears around the falls, as paw marks of the bears can be seen on the trees surrounding the cascade. There are no facilities for food around the Pandav falls, so better to carry food for a picnic at the falls.
At the distance of 130 km. from Khajuraho, the Kalinjar town and the Fort, which have had strategic importance since the earliest of times, are located in the ancient land of Jejakbhukti which was an integral part of Bundelkhand. The Fort, a stronghold of the Chandelas from the 9th to the 15th century, remained an invincible, prized for its location, right upto the time of the Mughals. During its eventful career, the Fort was subject to numerous wars. Mohammed Ghazni, Qutb-ud-din Aibak and Humayun, all invaded this stronghold of the Chandelas. It was Akbar who finally conquered it in 1569 and bequeathed it as a gift to Birbal, one of his “nine jewels”. From Birbal it went to Chhatrasal, the legendary Bundela warrior and then to Hardev Shah of Panna. In 1812 it fell into the hands of the British. This Fort with its romantic and extraordinary history is an excellent destination to visit, The township of Kalinjar was once enclosed with in a high rampart wall with four gateways, only three of which exist today. These are popularly known as the Kamta Dwar, Panna Dwar and Rewa Dwar.
Ajaigarh Fort is situated in close vicinity at the outskirts of Khajuraho, which presents the architectural style followed by Chandela Kings. It is believed that the fortress was constructed by the rulers, when their power in the area was declining. Located at an average elevation of 1,111 m, the fort is mounted on a flat-topped projection of Vindhya ranges. The fort offers a beautiful view of Ken River, which flows within the beautiful destination. Historians state that the huge structure was provided to the fort for protecting natives from attacks and encounters of enemies and outsiders. Presently, the fort can be accessed by its two gates namely Darwaza, situated on the north and Tarhaoni, situated to the south-east. The fort also houses sculptures in a row formation of goddesses called Ashta Shakti. Ajay Pal ka Talao, a famous lake, and the ruins of a Jain Temple are other prominent attractions present within the fort.
Dhubela museum or Maharaja Chatrasal Museum, both means same. This museum is located on great Bundela ruler Maharaja Chhatrasal's (1649-1731) palace, thus named as Maharaja Chhatrasal museum. As the place is known by the name of Dhubela, thus it is also popular as Dhubela Museum. It was inaugurated by Pd. Jawahar Lal Nehru in 12/Sept/1955. It is located in Chhatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh. It is just 65kms north-west of Khajuraho and connected by road. Tourists undertakes Dhubela museum tour in two ways, either they do en-route visit while going from Khajuraho to Orchha or Khajuraho to Jhansi. Another way is visit is as excursion tour, while staying at Khajuraho hotel. It is a perfect destination for a great time with your dear ones. Enjoy the attractions of this popular tourist spot. With so much to lure your senses and offer you recreation at its best, get drenched in the spirit of adventure that you get to explore at Dhubela museum, Khajuraho. Enjoy together all the points of popular interests and bring back several memorable moments. Dhubela museum, Khajuraho is not just the place for sightseeing, but it also enables you to steal a self-indulgent moment for yourself as well. Chhatrasal Museum is the largest museum in the State of MP